[AGENT++] Wishlist: update() for more complex objects / end_request()

Jens Rehsack rehsack at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:58:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have two feature requests / wishlist entries:

1) more classes with overridable update() method.

   The idea behind it is easy from our smart-snmpd point of view: we
   allow cached tables - e.g. process table doesn't need to be
   retrieved each time a datum is requested from it. Every e.g. 30sec
   is enough.

   So we currently update() in find_succ() - which is more a hack,
   because we have old data when someone is using get_request
   instead of doing a get_next_request. We can control it in our clients,
   but not for everyone on the world. Of course, the updater can be
   triggered from a separate thread - but this is probably just a
   workaround, too.

2) end_request() information

   Wouldn't it be nice when an implementation would be informed when
   a bulk request ends? The triggers can be different, e.g.:

   * get_next steps to the next MibEntry in Mib
   * client doesn't fetch for more than TIMEOUT seconds

Jens