[AGENT++] Size limit of an OctetString inside a MibTable ?

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Tue Jun 28 22:17:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I would like to know what is the size limit of a DisplayString contained
> into a MibTable ?

there is no size limit for the string itself, but if it is too long, you
cannot retrieve it any more ;-)

> I use to populate my table with security certificates of max size of
> 3KB. I now have to use 9KB data (in the future maybe up to 64KB) and I
> do get a 'SNMP protocol error').

This indicates that the agent supports a bigger PDU size than the manager.

The default for snmp++/agent++ is
	#define MAX_SNMP_PACKET 4096
So 3KB will work, but 9KB not.

Note that the maximum message size is limited by UDP to 64K.