[AGENT++] SNMP++ v3 queries with duplicate security names

Kerrison, Adam Adam_Kerrison at bmc.com
Thu Mar 24 10:53:59 CET 2011

I've built a multithreaded manager application which uses SNMP++ to query
devices - the user has to enter IP addresses/ranges and credentials in order
to access the devices.

When using SNMP v3 I can see a potential problem if the user enters
credentials with the same security name but different security parameters.
For example:

ip range: 172.17.28.*
username: bob
authentication: None
privacy: None

ip range: 172.17.29.*
Username: bob
authentication: MD5, Key XXXXXXX
privacy: DES, Key XXXXX

Since the code uses a single global USM keyed by name these are going to
clash aren't they? Only one of these entries will exist in the USM at any
one time

Is my understand correct here? If so, is there any way to allow multiple
security names in the USM and then get SNMP++ to pick the right one somehow
- for example, using the agent IP address as well as the security name?

Thanks

Adam