[AGENT++] snmpTraps and Programming for an Agent

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Mon Apr 2 21:53:15 CEST 2012

Hi,

> I tried to run the snmpTraps.cpp example. The following was the output that
> I got.
>
> 20120402.18:23:56: 4916: (1)DEBUG  : Initialized request_id to 1041.
> [...]
> SNMP++ Trap Send Status = Success
>
> My question is, what do the highlighted numbers mean?

Sorry, I don't see any highlighted numbers, as these were filtered out
by Mailman/MimeDel ;-)

> Another thing that I do not really understand is that how does the
> agent/manager uses MIB to get information for the traps?

The MIB defines when to send a trap (for example, if an object of the
MIB changes its value, or if a new entry is added to a table). It
depends on the trap definition, which values the agent has to include in
the trap.

> If I want to program for an agent using AGENT++, starting with sending
> traps, how/where should I start?

Maybe with one of the examples. I think all of them will send a trap at
startup.

> And to test if it works, I would need to
> program for the manager too, is that so?

snmp++ comes with a receive trap example, that you can use for the first
steps. It will just print out the trap contents.