[AGENT++] agent++ setup on ubuntu

Alexis Buisson alexis.bssn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:10:56 CEST 2014

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:00:20 -0400
From: Alexis Buisson <alexis.bssn at gmail.com>
To: agentpp at agentpp.org
Subject: [AGENT++] agent++ setup on ubuntu

Hello,

I have tried installing agent++ on ubuntu, and after a few hours I finally
got it to build in /usr/local, but even though it looks like it built
correctly, I think it did not.

I was a bit confused about the settings/configuration of the installation,
I did not quite understand what file I was supposed to edit to configure
the build. That is why I doubt my installation

My problem is that if I do anything at all with agent++, even only #include
"agent_pp/agent++.h", the compiler (gcc/g++ on code::blocks) gives errors.
The first error I encouter is in the following code snippet:

#ifdef STDCXX_98_HEADERS
#include <iostream>
#else
#include <iostream.h>
#endif

It seems like STDCXX_98_HEADERS is not defined (and I have <iostream> but
not <iostream.h>), although I did #define it in config.h.in before running
./configure (I found out autoreconf -i overwrites this file) and 'make
install'
Did I edit the wrong file?

Also, I have not been able to get the examples running either.

What have I done wrong in the installation? (if my error is in the
installation)

------------------------------

Message: 2
> I have tried installing agent++ on ubuntu, and after a few hours I

I assume it is Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 and there the following commands do
not produce any error:

tar -xf snmp++-3.3.4.tar.gz
tar -xf agent++-4.0.2.tar.gz
cd snmp++-3.3.4/
cat README.autoconf
autoreconf -i
./configure --prefix=/home/user/INSTALL
make install
cd ..
cd agent++-4.0.2/
autoreconf -i
./configure --prefix=/home/user/INSTALL
make install
cd examples/atm_mib/src/
make
./agent

If this does not work, your Ubuntu is missing some packages (autoconf
automake make libtool build-essential pkg-config).

Does the above work for your system?

Those commands have worked (which is weird because the only thing that
changed is the install directory, I had let the default /usr/local before),
but I still can't compile a test program myself, so the problem is probably
in my compiler's settings. I'm using code::blocks.

I'm able to compile when I include agent++.h, but I am NOT able to compile
when I also include mib.h. My program is only a "Hello world!" test.

Thanks for the fast help!