[AGENT++] synchronizing master and slave agents restart

Jacquemin, Jean-Philippe jean-philippe.jacquemin at barco.com
Thu Aug 20 08:19:07 CEST 2015

Dear All,

I have a master agent running on one CPU and another slave agent running on another CPU on an add-on board.
I can start them both OK, when I follow the order to first start the master, which will be listening to the slave connection, and then start the slave.

However I do have some issues with the slave that sometimes crashes with no obvious reason. So I had to put a watchdog on the slave that would restart it when it is has stopped. This is working well.
Now, because the system is running 24/7 and need to be responsive at anytime, even after 1 year of operation, since I experience some seldom crashes of the master... I need to implement a watchdog mechanism for the master as well.

Is there an easy way to synchronize the 2 restarts ?

I guess that when the master do stop, the slave also stops. If the watchdog restart delay of the master is shorter than the watchdog restart delay of the slave, then the order of starting master then slave should be followed well. However this is a bit DIY ...  Would there be a better way to synchronize both via the master-slave internal communication maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

PS: my version of snmp++ is 3.2.25, agent++ is 3.5.31 and AgentX++ is 1.4.18a.

This message is subject to the following terms and conditions: MAIL DISCLAIMER<http://www.barco.com/en/maildisclaimer>