[AGENT++] Does SNMP++ library do strict IP checking?

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Thu Feb 9 11:53:37 CET 2017

Hi,

> One of our customer trying to do SNMP queries against devices where
> they have been asked to use the Mapagement interface / ip for
> queries. They reported SNMP queries are failing. During testing
> (internally) they saw that the SNMP query comes in to the management
> IP of a device and device responses are going out of a public
> interface on the device.

snmp++ does not do any filtering on IPs. Responses are matched to the
requests using the requestId/messageId. I first thought about a possible
engineId discovery problem, but faking the source address of all
received packets (can be done in receive_snmp_response()) showed that it
works as expected.

> They tested same with NetSNMP and it is able to do SNMP queries and
> getting replies as well (even though other IP of same device sent
> those).

Was this done on the same machine where your product is running? If not,
there might be some filter dropping the response.