[SNMP4J] snmp4j vs. Westhawk

Per Cederberg per at percederberg.net
Tue Aug 31 08:55:57 CEST 2004

Frank (and Ian),

Many thanks for the answers regarding the Westhawk SNMP
stack. I haven't used it myself (not really doing any
SNMP hacking) but now that you mention it I see that it
doesn't have any agent functionality... One point in
favor of SNMP4J.

As you seem to think SNMP4J is stable enough, I'll add a
link to SNMP4J from the www.mibble.org web page.

On tue, 2004-08-31 at 00:21, Frank Fock wrote:
> I have took a short look at your SMI parser which seems
> one of the first open source SMI parsers. From the docs
> I reviewed I am wondering whether the Mibble API can
> handle multiple MIB modules in a file,

No, this is currently not possible. Haven't seen this
myself so is it really according to standard? It might
not be so hard to fix, but I haven't had anyone
requesting this yet...

> and whether it
> supports module scoping correctly (thus whether the API
> can handle SMI modules correctly that reference two
> objects with the same name from different MIB modules)?

Yes, if you mean refering to symbols by MODULE.SYMBOL
inside the MIB file.

Cheers,

/Per
--