[SNMP4J] community

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Tue May 18 08:47:18 CEST 2004

Hi Vee,

A community string can be any octet string (yes, it may include 0 characters
that are used in C to mark a string's end). The length of the community
stirngs
supported by a device is implementation dependent. Thus, the community
string
can be any string not only "public" or "private". Since community
strings are
send as plain text across the network, it is fairly easy to sniff them.
Consequently,
in a managed network (where SNMP message are exchanged regularly) it
provides near to no security. Nevertheless, it is better than nothing to
change
the community strings from the widely used defaults.

This might have been the case in your network. You will have to ask the
system admin of your Uni for the (read) community.