[SNMP4J] Was it a bug?

Vee realvee2000 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 12:56:51 CEST 2004

Hi all

              I'm using SNMP v.1 for running some experiment. I got some bug from previous version of SNMP4J so I tried the latest one. My problem is that it couldn't get the SNMP values from device and throw the StackOverflowError exception. Has anyone got this similar problem?  The code I wrote did work very well in the previous version of SNM4J. It returned the SNMP values successfully (however there was some internal problem that left the thread running forever. so I downloaded the new one but stucked)   My code is quite simple. It just creates protocol, assigns target, sets pdu v.1 and sends it.

try{
        transport = new DefaultUdpTransportMapping();          // create SNMP protocol
        Snmp protocol = new Snmp(transport);
        transport.listen();                                                  // add listener

        CommunityTarget myTarget = new CommunityTarget();    // set the target
        Address deviceAdd;
        deviceAdd = GenericAddress.parse("udp:"+ip+"/161");
        myTarget.setAddress(deviceAdd);
        myTarget.setCommunity(new OctetString(comm));
        myTarget.setRetries(RETRY);
        myTarget.setTimeout(TIMEOUT);
        myTarget.setVersion(SnmpConstants.version1);       // snmp v.1

        pdu = new PDUv1();                                      // creates PDU v.1
        VariableBinding var = new VariableBinding(new OID(INOCTETS));
        pdu.add(var);
        pdu.setType(PDU.GET);
        pdu = protocol.sendPDU(pdu,myTarget);

        var=pdu.get(0);                                        // get the first value only
        Variable value = new Counter64();
        value = var.getVariable();
        System.out.println(value.toString());

        pdu.clear();
        transport.close();
        protocol.close();
        transport=null;
        protocol=null;
        return Long.valueOf(value.toString());
      }catch(IOException ex){

Any idea?

Thank you

Surmsak Mahittivanitcha [V]
Address : 71/398 Pitt st. Sydney, NSW  2000
Mob. : +61(4)-2165-5794