[SNMP4J] Matching outstanding request

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Wed Oct 13 00:34:02 CEST 2004

Hi Mathias,

Possible reasons for unmatched responses could be indeed too short timeouts.
By increasing the number of retries, you cannot reduce the likelihood of
unmatched responses, in contrary is true. Because there are many agent
implementations that do not differentiate retries from other requests.
Such agents return a response on any request, regardless whether it
is a retry or a regular request. Other agents, like AGENT++ based agents
detect retries while they process a request but those agents cannot
detect retries of an already answered request.

A UDP buffer overflow also cannot be the reason of unmatched
application will never be able recognize the response at all.

Thus, to reduce unmatched response:
(a) reduce to number of retries (i.e. set it to 0)
(b) increase the timeout.

Hope this helps.