[SNMP4J] Syntax type "STRING"

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Sat Oct 30 12:13:10 CEST 2004

Hi Dennis,

NET-SNMP does many things in background. For example, it first gets
the current value of an object instance to determine its type. Then it
converts the value you supplied into the target type, if possible. Thus,
when your agent is broken in terms of not implementing the correct
type for the object as specified by the MIB. Another cause could be
the value itself. Have you tried setting the value with SNMPv2c or SNMPv3?
Then you probably get a better (more detailed) error status.

Hope this helps.

(OctetString is the correct syntax for DisplayString objects)