[SNMP4J] Sending a trap/notification to a subset of the SnmpTargetMIB

Matthias Wiesmann matthias.wiesmann at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 03:45:17 CEST 2005

Hello Franck,

thanks again for your prompt answer.

I'm sorry but I don't see how the current code can solve my problem.
If I understand the code, NotificationOriginatorImpl.notify does the
following:

- It gets from the notification MIB the list of tags
- It looks up those tags in the Taget MIB
- It looks up the relevant parameters in the Parameter MIB
- It calls method sendNotification that will construct the
notification/traps and send them

My problem is that I would like to decide at runtime which tags to
send notifications to, e.g send to a programatically decided subset of
the notification MIB. I don't see a way to specify a tag or a set of
tags to which notifications should be sent to. None of the parameters
that the NotificationOriginatorImpl.notify method takes has any effect
on which tag / adresses will be selected.

I could reconfigure the Notification MIB according to my needs before
each sending, but this would be very resource intensive, and basically
exclude using multiple parallel threads. As I might be sending a quite
high rates (I'm sending heartbeats), I very much would like to avoid
this solution.

Maybe I'm overlooking something and I'm very dense, if this is the
case I really apologise .

Best regards

Matthias Wiesmann