[SNMP4J] SNMP4J newbie (3)

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu Dec 15 23:27:17 CET 2005

Hi Marco,

Please find my answers inline:

Marco.Bresciani at alcatel.it wrote:

<SNIP>

>BUT I have some questions:
>
> - what about the target URL?! targetURL = GenericAddress.parse(address +
>":" + pIPAddress + "/" + pPort); where and how I have to use it to say
>"connect to this address"?

SNMP is connection less protocol. Thus, you specifiy the target for each
SNMP message
you send.

> - message processor and USM seem detached from Snmp instance. How can I
>manage them?

Both are tightly coupled with the Snmp instance. Both cannot be used by
another
Snmp instance at the same time.

> - the security model defined by the USM is related to Snmp instance too?

The USM is a SecurityModel.

> - please clarify me the difference between security name/password and
>privacy name/password. Also, what about protocols OID? Are they related to
>my device MIB?

There exists no "privacy name" and no "security password". There is only
one security name
which is a sort of "user name" or "security profile selector ID". The
authentication password
is used to authenticate SNMPv3 messages and the privacy password is used
to encrypt
SNMPv3 messages.

>Thank you in advance for any help anyone could give me... and sorry for my
>bad written English and my "newbie-ness".

No problem - I am not a native speaker either ;-) and we all are newbies
somewhere!