[SNMP4J] [Slightly OT] Free JMX SNMPAdaptor?

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Feb 18 00:57:43 CET 2005

Gregor B. Rosenauer wrote:

> Frank Fock wrote:
>
>> The upcoming SNMP4J-Agent add-on API will be JMX compatible.
>
> Thanks for the info, I'm impressed! And impatient;)
> So, just to understand you right, will the next major version include
> an Adaptor or how will it be compatible?

The SNMP4J-Agent will be a add-on API which will be released indepently.
I am not sure whether the first release of SNMP4J-Agent will already
contain a JMX-Adaptor, but it should be very easy to write one then.

>> However JMX (currently?) has a disadvantage: JMX does not support
>> two-phase-commit which is a requirement to (really) support SNMP
>> JMX-adaptors.
>
> I was not aware of this - could you elaborate a bit more on this problem?

SNMP requires that a SET operation is executed atomically.
That is, an agent must either set all or none of the variable bindings in
a SET request PDU. Since JMX does not support 2PC, a SNMP agent
adaptor for JMX will not be able to perform atomic SET operations.

That is one reason why the SNMP4J-Agent API will support 2PC by its
interfaces and why it will not directly use MBeans.