[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 Configuration

Jim Doble jim.doble at tavve.com
Mon Jul 11 23:50:02 CEST 2005

Frank:

The listener mechanism definitely seems like a simple, low-impact solution,
and I think I have a work-around until it shows up in a release.

That being said, I am a little concerned that while the idea I proposed is
efficient in code, it is not as memory efficient as I would like. A more
ideal approach might be to provide a mechanism that allows the UsmUser
lookup mechanism to be customized.

For example, the USM.getUser method is currently used to look up the
authentication and privacy information for a user, based on the engineID
(possibly null) and securityName. The goal, in my specific application is to
to look up the information based on the securityName, and peer address. Note
that my requirement is not completely general, however, because it does not
take into account the possibility of a proxy between my management
application and the managed device, so I would recommend a strategy whereby
the default behavior is to look up the user information based on engineID
and securityName, as it is today, but provide a means for applications to
customize this behavior based on additional information, such as the peer
address. This would require some generalization of the parameters passed to
the getUser method, some of which would be ignored in the default case.

Something to think about, as you consider the changes for your next release.

Regards,

Jim Doble
Tavve Software Company