[SNMP4J] engineIDs Cache

Jim Doble jim.doble at tavve.com
Wed Jul 13 18:57:22 CEST 2005

The MPv3 class keeps an engineIDs hashtable, that maps addresses to
engineIDs. I thought I understood why this was there, until I noticed that
when a management station received an inform from a managed device, an entry
gets added to this cache mapping the managed device's address to the
management station's engineID. This happens because in the case of an
inform, the receiver's engineID is the authoratative engineID.

Is this intentional, or is it an accidental behavior? I was wondering if it
would affect a request from the management station to the managed devide
immediately after an inform, but apparently not, because the port part of
the address which is used to key the hashtable is different.

Jim Doble
Tavve Software Company