[SNMP4J] Time Window Error - Possible Bug?

Angie Fernandez angief at messagegate.com
Wed Jul 27 20:25:43 CEST 2005

I'm receiving the following error when trying to send a v3 request with
authentication to TestAgent:

DEBUG org.snmp4j.security.UsmTimeTable  - CheckTime: received message
outside time window (authorative):engineBoots differ

It seems that the engineBoots and engineTime are never in sync between
the agent and the message/request.  The message/request engine boots and
engine time are always set to 0, and the agent seems to be incrementing
these values correctly since they are increasing over time.  Therefore,
it looks like the engine boots and engine time aren't being initialized
properly on the message/request when sent to the agent.

I'm running TestAgent, and using the following commands to send the
request:

Get:

SNMP4J -u SHADES -a SHA -A SHADESAuthPassword -x DES -X
SHADESPrivPassword -v 3 -t 10000 -p GET -r 0 -d DEBUG udp:localhost/161
"1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2"

Walk:

SNMP4J -u SHADES -a SHA -A SHADESAuthPassword -x DES -X
SHADESPrivPassword -v 3 -t 10000 -Ow -r 0 -d DEBUG udp:localhost/161
"1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2"

I don't know if maybe I'm missing a required option on the command line,
or if this might be an actual bug.  I've searched the archives, and
haven't found a solution.  Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks,

Angie Fernandez