[SNMP4J] My Hello World app !!! ATTENTION THIS WAS BIG *******

Muralidharan Narayanan murali at TriveniDigital.com
Wed Jun 15 21:27:29 CEST 2005

Hello Frank,

I think I found the answer to first 2 of my questions

> - In order to get a response, what should I do?
> - Basically, I simply executed the application using eclipse IDE and
observed no Snmp response. Should I be running any Daemon Snmp on my PC to
use this HelloWorld example?

All PCs with MS Operating Systems have their SNMP agent services turned OFF.
That is right they are turned OFF. After reading from "Essential SNMP" book,
I learned to turn the services ON. Once the services are ON, the example
SNMPRequest.java and correspondingly the example HelloWorldSNMP.java work
fine. I could then query all system related OIDs in my localhost PC.

Can you or someone please help answer my 3rd question

> - I am digesting ths SNMPRequest application meanwhile which is the root
for HelloWorld example I guess. However, the difficutly I am having is -
understand the basic SNMP steps in example. By basic steps, I mean which are
common skeleton steps for snmp set up etc. Can you point me those steps? -
Also I am trying to find the steps in example that are for v1 or v2c or v3
of snmp

Thanks

Also for all,

- SNMPRequest.java or HelloWorldSNMP.java are good examples to use as SNMP
managers
- You can use them to test your localhost (PC in my case) as SNMP agent.
- However, PC SNMP agent services need to be turned on for this example to
work. How do you turn it ON?
Look below at an extract from keyword search for "SNMP" from your PC's help
and support.
These are key steps to complete for example to work.
SNMP
Simple network management protocol (SNMP) provides the ability to monitor
and communicate status information between a variety of hosts.
Before installing SNMP, see Checklist: Implementing the SNMP service
<MS-ITS:SNMPconcepts.chm::/sag_SNMPchecklist.htm>.
To find features that have been moved in Windows XP, see New ways to do
familiar tasks <MS-ITS:SNMPconcepts.chm::/sag_SNMPupgradepath.htm>.
For tips about using SNMP, see Best practices
<MS-ITS:SNMPconcepts.chm::/sag_snmpbestpract.htm>.
For help with specific tasks, see How To...
<MS-ITS:SNMPconcepts.chm::/sag_SNMPhowto.htm>
For general background information, see Concepts
<MS-ITS:SNMPconcepts.chm::/sag_SNMPConcept.htm>.
For problem-solving instructions, see Troubleshooting
<MS-ITS:SNMPconcepts.chm::/sag_snmptrouble.htm>.

Happe SNMP-ing.