[SNMP4J] SNMP4J v1.2RC

Gregor B. Rosenauer gregor.rosenauer at siemens.com
Thu Mar 17 11:41:14 CET 2005

A good alternative might be Apache UGLI in conjunction with log4j1.3:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/ugli.html

It does not suffer from JCL's ClassLoader-problems and might save you
from hard to find bugs obscured by JCL.

The big advantage is that you can use log4j 1.3's exceptionally *cool*
parameterized log messages (see link) instead of being limited to the
commons-mini-API.

A minor drawback is that it's only available with log4j *1.3* which is
still alpha (though alpha6 is already widely used and stable).

Quote:
"Authors of widely-distributed components and libraries may code against
the UGLI interface in order to avoid imposing an logging API
implementation on the end-user. At deployment time, the end-user may
choose the desired logging API implementation by inserting the
corresponding jar file in her classpath. This stupid, simple but robust
approach avoids many of the painful bugs associated with dynamic
discovery processes. Life is too short to be spending it hunting down
class loader problems."

I'm not biased against one or the other framework, just researching this
topic currently and want to share the info I got so far.

Gregor