[SNMP4J] OID / MIB Relation

PHIL BERGSTRESSER phil.bergstresser at adtran.com
Fri Nov 4 16:33:45 CET 2005

Matt,
    Two parts to your question. One is SNMP general, and the other is
SNMP4J particular. I will answer the former.
    A MIB is the interface specification document defining the
management objects in the agent that a manager can reference (snmpGet),
possibly alter (snmpSet) and receive unsolicited (traps/notifications).
It is written in a machine readable language called the Structure of
Managed Information (SMI). The named objects within the MIB document are
called objects and have a numeric definition called an Object Identifier
(OID) which is what is transmitted via the SNMP transmission protocol to
the managed agent. The OID is composed of a sequence of numeric
sub-identifiers which define its unique place in the universal OID tree
structure. In practice, the term OID is often casually used synonomously
for the named object, but the objects in the MIB are named variables and
not true ohjects with OO ramifications.
    Now how you get to translate MIB object names to the numeric OID (a
sequence of numeric sub-identifiers) and back is unique to each network
management application. I'll give someone else a chance to answer that
part of your question for how to deal with that in SNMP4J.
    HTH,
Phil Bergstresser
ADTRAN SNMP Design Engineer