[SNMP4J] need Snmp4J Experts help on Pooling of SnmpObjects

reena grace reena_5grace at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 8 06:10:35 CEST 2005

Hi,
1) I am using Snmp4J  for building a Management Application that is
supposed to monitor large  enterprise networks.My choice of using Snmp4J
for this is justified after I  am able to develop a stable application that gathers
some basic information from the snmp-enabled devices in the network .
 I am really excited with the easeness and comfortabilty offered  by this API
due to which i am able to meet the desired standards of our requirements.
THANKS   TO THE DEVELOPING FRATERNITY OF THIS API .
2) As part of the solution , I am supposed to perform Device-discovery for
which i check the live status of device using PING( employed BPing  utility
that pings 35 devices in about 200 msec )and then check the presence of
snmp agent on the live devices ( all within a LAN ) .

So the issues that i encounter are  as below:
1) Can  I open a pool of snmp  session objects ,from which i pick up an object
and load it with  target and pdu details ,use it for communication ,and then
return  it to the pool .( simliar to the concept of   threadpool ) .?

2) If  so , what  will be the impact on Memory due to not closing the snmp
object.Do the Listening threads invoked create a performance degradation
if we let them unclosed or stay in memory ( to re-use them again for
communication with  different agents).

3) If creation of a pool of  Snmp objects is preferable causing no performance
drawbacks ,then which of the following ways is better and efficient
   a) Creating a pool of a limited number ( 15 to 20 ) of snmp objects and
   using them for communication with a large  n/w of 500 devices.
   b) Creating a sufficiently large pool of objects( 300 to 400 ) so that i can fix
   a given object to a certain device in the LAN

Please suggest me an efficient way in solving these issues and
drag me out of  those insomniac night-outs
Thanks in advance for the expertise.
Reena