[SNMP4J] Need a quick help for a better way to get the table data.

krishna kukunuri radhakrishna_57 at yahoo.co.in
Tue Sep 27 09:47:44 CEST 2005

hi ,
   I am using Snmp4J API in building a manager application that queries the agents for varied information like MACADDRESS, SUBNETMASK , HARDDISK SPACE etc. The problems i am encountering are as follows:

1)  To extract the values of the above parameters ,in the first place we need to know  the  corresponding table index value so that for MACADDRESS we frame a pdu with a varbind--- macaddress_oid.Index----.So in order to know the indices values ,i have used the TableUtils  and its corresponding methods and
i am succesfully abl to get the indices values of the table.
   BUT SNIFFING THE ETHEREAL ON EXCEUTING THAT CODE ,I FOUND THAT IT IS internally GENERATING 200-300 REQUEST (GET_NEXT) PDUs AND CONSUMING CONSIDERABLE TIME(500 MSEC) (STATISTICS on an  AVERAGE).  so i need to know if there is a better of doing this ?

2) Can i use snmp.getBulk(pdu,target)  to fullfill my requirement and attain the desired results.if so plz throw some light on the max-repitions and non-repeaters fields of the GET_BULK pdu.
     thanks in advance for the  kind response
Radhakrishna.