[SNMP4J] Sending traps

Bruno Tessier btessier at nakinasystems.com
Mon Apr 3 18:53:39 CEST 2006

Hi all,

When sending a trap using SNMP4J, I couldn't find any place to set the
following arguments:  enterprise OID, IP of sender, generic trap number,
specific trap number.

Does this mean that SNMP4J automatically sets the enterprise OID,
generic and specific trap numbers, from the trap OID?  For example, if
the trap OID is set to 1.3.6.1.4.1.20453.5000.3003, does SNMP4J parse
the trap OID, and knows that since it is not one of the generic traps,
then it must be enterprise specific (so generic = 6), that the last
number in the OID (3003) is the specific trap number, and that the full
OID minus the specific number is the enterprise OID (enterprise OID =
1.3.6.1.4.1.20453.5000)?

What about the IP of the sender?  Is this automatically set to the IP
address of the machine on which the trap sender resides?

I'm just concerned that a lot of trap sending scripts and applications
set these values, and I couldn't find anything about them in the SNMP4J
documentation.

Thanks,
Bruno