[SNMP4J] Variable Binding maximum size (255 bytes)

PIPPO IMPELLIZZERI cazzalora at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 18:24:51 CEST 2006

 I was tryng to query a CISCO device to retrieve the IOS version using
snmp4j with the
 follow VariableBinding  { 1,3,6,1,2,1,1,1}

 iso (1) . org (3) . dod (6) . internet (1) . mgmt (2)

    - -- mib-2 (1)

       - -- system (1)
      |      |
      |      | --   sysDescr (1) object Details
<http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=sysDescr>

 Everything works good, but the response PDU that I receive with a lot of
information is "broken".
 I guess that there is a maximum size for the VariableBinding  inside the
PDU of 255 bytes.
 Is there a way to obtain a PDU response big enough to hold all the
information sendend from the router ?

 thanks,
 Rey