[SNMP4J] TestAgent and SNMPv3

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez rnsanchez at wait4.org
Tue Dec 19 13:43:22 CET 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:17:41 +0100
Jochen Katz <katz at agentpp.com> wrote:

> > % snmptranslate 1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.2.0
> > SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB::usmStatsNotInTimeWindows.0
> >
> > Probably tells me that I need to raise the timeout.  Am I right this time?
>
> no ;-) It's not a timeout problem, but a time synchronization problem:
> The manager app sends illegal time values (engine boot, engine time) to
> the agent. Are you using unique engine ids for agent and manager?

To be honest, I don't know.  I'm just trying to query the TestAgent bundled
with snmp4j-agent using the snmp4j-tool.  From `snmp4j_usage.txt', I believe
you mean about these parameters:

  -e  engineID          Sets the authoritative engine ID of the command
                        responder used for SNMPv3 request messages. If not
                        supplied, the engine ID will be discovered.
  -E  contextEngineID   Sets the context engine ID used for the SNMPv3 scoped
                        PDU. The authoritative engine ID will be used for the
                        context engine ID, if the latter is not specified.

But frankly, I don't know what to use here, for snmp4j-tool client and snmp4j
TestAgent agent.

Any tips?

Thanks.
Regards.