[SNMP4J] TestAgent and SNMPv3

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez rnsanchez at wait4.org
Tue Dec 19 19:31:55 CET 2006

Hello,

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:42:39 +0100
Jochen Katz <katz at agentpp.com> wrote:

> > To be honest, I don't know.  I'm just trying to query the TestAgent
> > bundled with snmp4j-agent using the snmp4j-tool.  From
> > `snmp4j_usage.txt', I believe
>
> until now there seems to be no command line switch to set the local
> engine id, so both (agent and manager) generate it from the local host
> and this results in identical ids. Change the following line in
> SnmpRequest.java:
>
>      if (version == SnmpConstants.version3) {
>        USM usm = new USM(SecurityProtocols.getInstance(),
> ===>                    new OctetString(MPv3.createLocalEngineID(new
> OctetString("MyManager"))), 0);
>        SecurityModels.getInstance().addSecurityModel(usm);
>        addUsmUser(snmp);
>      }

I couldn't find the client sources, and the best matches were inside
BaseAgent.java and TestAgent.java.  Passing another OctetString like you
suggested didn't help, I still get usmStatsNotInTimeWindows and now
usmStatsUnknownEngineIDs.

Using Net-SNMP's snmpwalk I get only timeouts.

The versions I'm using are:

	snmp4j-agent-1.0.1a
	snmp4j_tool-1.7.6

Any ideas?