[SNMP4J] ifDescr (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2) vs ifAlias (.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18)

Tejo Vamsi Prayaga tejovamsi at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 19:05:05 CET 2006

   Hi All,

I have got a question as to which variable the SNMP agent should
populate for the description entered for an interface at the CLI.
Is it ifDescr or ifAlias?

The device uses Cisco IOS. Currently the SNMP agent populates
the interface description into ifAlias, but not in to ifDescr.
ifDescr always returns the name of the Interface like 'Ethernet0'
'Serial1' etc.

1) Is this correct bhaviour?

2) What is the supposed to be returned by ifDescr then?

3) If ifXTable is thought of an extension to ifTable, then what is the rationale in having another seemingly similar variable in ifXTable. I am kind of trying understand this, appreciate if anyone could throw some light on this.

3) What does most agents do in this situation

Thanks much for your time.

Regards
Tejo