[SNMP4J] Frank - Need help Urgent!!!!!!

Nocelo, Eva eva.nocelo at hp.com
Mon Jan 9 12:51:04 CET 2006

Hi all again,

Some days ago I sent you an email asking for a solution for a problem
I'm experiencing with SNMP4J related with the performance using Java
1.4. I'm detailing some more the problem so maybe someone can help me.

I'm developing an application that communicates with HP printers in
order to retrieve some information from them. This information is stored
in a SNMP table that has almost 22 entries. The idea of the application
is to engage 22 separate threads that ask for a separate entry of this
table. Doing this, we want to make this process faster since the most
important issue of the application. I create a pool of threads,
concretely 22, that share the snmp instance. Every thread uses the
synchronous system to retrieve the SNMP oid and is destroyed after
receiving the response. The application has to create/destroy this
thread pool several times during its function and calls the snmp.close()
method when destroy it.

The problem is the following. In general, I can see that, even if I'm
destroying the threads, the number of active threads increase a lot when
the application is running. I've also seen that there are some active
Timers even if I'm using the snmp.close() method when I destroy the
pool. I don't know why it's happening. Moreover, the performance slows
down a lot when I'm using Java 1.4.2 and the application even hangs
which does not happens with Java 1.5. Does anybody have an idea about
why threads are not being destroyed (even calling the snmp.close()
method) and why the performance is so different between Java 1.4 and
1.5??

Thanks a lot,

Eva