[SNMP4J] AgentX SNMP4J subagent and NetSNMP master agent problem

Thomas Leseney thomas.leseney at nexcom.fr
Wed Jun 21 10:42:54 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've tried the new AgentX features of SNMP4J and it works great with
the SNMP4J master agent.

However I've run across a problem when using NetSNMP as a master agent.
When an SNMP GET request is sent to NetSNMP it forwards an AgentX GET PDU
to the SNMP4J subagent. As specified, the GET PDU includes a search
range with
the variable binding's name encoded into the starting OID and null as
the ending OID.

The problem is that, unlike the SNMP4J master agent, NetSNMP sets the
include
bit in the starting OID to 0. As a result, the SNMP4J subagent replies
with a no such
instance error.

As far as I understood, the include bit should be set to 1 (as the
SNMP4J master agent does)
and the problem lies in the NetSNMP AgentX implementation. Do you agree ?

Regards,

Thomas