[SNMP4J] SNMP4J Agen Pro Generation

Ron Fulkerson ronf at zvideo.com
Fri May 26 21:39:18 CEST 2006

Hello All,

I have a number of questions about using snmp4j along with the Agen Pro
code generator.  I hope someone here will not mind giving a bit of their
time to enlighten me of some good resources to help me get started.

I am looking for a resource which explains how to work with the code
generated by Agen Pro v 2.1.  Specifically, I would like to see an
example of working with dynamic tables and values with read-write access.

The code generated by Agen Pro produces stubs to override, including one
for isValueOK() and a ValidationListener.  These two stubs seem to be
redundant in their purpose.  The generated code also produces a stub for
get(), yet I do not see the rational for overriding the default
implementation.

Also, I am not sure I understand the rational behind making each OID in
the generated code private.  These values seem like they are needed in
creating a notification originator.  I would think referencing a public
instance of these values would be the best approach when creating this
class.

I understand that I can change the generation templates to produce
whatever I would like, but I assume these templates were modeled after
SNMP best practices.  It is my desire to understand these practices and
follow their guidelines.  Any pointers in this area would be great.

Finally, I have not yet figured out how to populate the tables the are
created in the generated code.  Any pointers in this area would be much
appreciated.

Thanks to all who have advice to offer,
Ron