[SNMP4J] Difference between addNotificationListener() and addCommandResponder

Adam Brons abrons at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 9 20:42:17 CEST 2006

Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm in the process of writing a SNMP listener for trap messages.  The
examples included in the API documentation and the
org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest use "addCommandResponder(..)" which is
what I'd planned to use until I was examing the API doc on org.snmp4j.Snmp
and noticed "addNotificationListener(...)".  I've google searched the list
archives for any distinction between the two methods.  I've gathered that
addNotificationListerner allows you to bind to a local interface and port,
transport mapping, and specify a CommandResponder to deal with TRAP
messages and that addCommandResponder is used for two-way communication
where the received SNMP message is expecting a return message.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered and I haven't found it.  I
personally hate the default archiving with Mailman when it comes to
searching the archives.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Brons
TSOM Software Engineer