[SNMP4J] creating MIBs from (M)Beans

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Tue Oct 24 23:40:57 CEST 2006

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Curdt wrote:
> It seems that quite often that for SNMP people write the MIBs by hand
> and then have compilers to create stubs from that MIB. So I was
> wondering.... why not going the other way around? Creating a MIB from
> a (M)Bean.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Often the resulting MIB is not quite usable. MBeans have very
few restrictions regarding their interface and their relations
whereas SMI is relative restrictive. Particularly because of
the lexicographic ordering of SNMP/SMI objects and the limited
bulk transfer capabilities compared to JMX, choosing the right
INDEX for SNMP tables is essential.

By automatically generating SNMP MIBs from MBeanInfos, one
will not get an useful MIB specification in most cases.
Companies that provide such automatic mapping often conceal
these "details".