[SNMP4J] Maintaining asynchronous functionality in the application

kurian.pulickal at wipro.com kurian.pulickal at wipro.com
Tue Sep 5 10:17:19 CEST 2006

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Regards,
Kurian

________________________________

From: Peter Mellquist [mailto:peter_nature at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 1:17 AM
To: Kurian Pulickal (WT01 - Embedded Systems); snmp4j at agentpp.org
Subject: Re: [SNMP4J] Maintaining asynchronous functionality in the
application

Kurian, I will try to answer what I think your question is.....

Responselistener is an 'interface' used within the Session class. So,
when you say you would like to provide a 'wrapper' class, I think this
can be done in a few different ways depending on your goal. For example
you can create your own Snmp class by extending  it

public class mySnmp extends Snmp
{
      MyResponseListener listener;
.
// implements ResponseListener interface
void onRespsonse( ResponseEvent event)
{
         // call your own listener
         listener.asynchCallBack( event);

}
.
.
// example of wrapping asynch get, note useage of your own listener
MyResponselistener
public void get( PDU pdu, Target target, object userHandle,
MyResponseListener listener)
{
       this.listener = listener;
       // calls base class get method, asych responses will come to
'this'
       get( pdu, target, userHandle, this);

}
.
}

The interface might look like
public interface MyResponseListener
{
      public void asynchCallBack( ResponseEvent event);
}

This class can implement ResponseListener such that all asynch responses
come to it. When they do, you will callback your own listener
MyRespsonse listener ( you will need to create this interface ).

This class can provide its own interfaces which in turn call the Snmp
base class. You can thereby provide all your own 'wrapped' interfaces
including your own Responselistener like interface. You only need to
inplement the members you want, the remainder will be inherited.

Using an approach like this you can bridge one API set into another. For
example, you can replace an older or more expensive JAVA SNMP API with
SNMP4J under the hood ( get rid of AdventNet and use SNMP4J)
<http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/01.gif>

Best Regards,
Peter Mellquist