[SNMP4J] snmp vs jmx

Torsten Curdt tcurdt at apache.org
Tue Sep 12 10:44:45 CEST 2006

Hi there

I am interested in the current state of the project. Is active/stable/dormant?

We need to monitor a couple of machines and I am currently evaluating
on how to do that best. For many reasons SNMP would be the first
joice. On the other hand the JVM already exposes many information via
JMX. How much work is left for the JMX-SNMP bridge?

I did hear thoough that such a bridge is expensive and not really
desireable. How suitable would it be to expose JVM information and
log4j configurations via SNMP. Is there code for that already? (I
think I've seen some log4j stuff in the javadocs)

Some comments would be great. If it's a viable way we may be able to
help out here with some engineering time.

cheers
--
Torsten