[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 "discovery"

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Wed Apr 18 22:09:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Automatic detection of SNMP Operating mode
> [...]

> Since at the moment I cannot reach the author and other SNMP experts...
> can anyone please translate this for me in something comprehensible?! :-)
> So I could implement this behaviour... :-)

this document just describes the engine id discovery process of SNMPv3.
Whenever you send the first request to an agent (ip/port) SNMP4J (and
snmp++) will just send the described request to the agent.

There is nothing to do in the application code for this process.
The application code prepares to send a v3 request and if the request
returns an error the app can retry with v2.

Regards,
  Jochen