[SNMP4J] 1 sec to send a pdu with SnmpRequest

Parhar, Ajeet S Ajeet.S.Parhar at team.telstra.com
Wed Aug 1 02:20:44 CEST 2007

Hi Jason,

I had this problem a little while back except that it appeared
intermittently. Sometimes it's took a few milliseconds to send a UDP
TRAP, but every now and again it took 1000ms plus a few milliseconds to
send. The problem appeared over Windows XP and Linux.

Some investigation and I discovered that if getting the socket resource
from the OS kernel fails for whatever intermittent reason, then the
error notification may not be provided for about 1000ms
(http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4667046)

Frank Fock's response on my request to this e-mail list was:

"Are you using a single Snmp instance with a single set of transport all
the time? If not, that's the problem."

Which I wasn't because the code in org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest
doesn't... In particular the send message creates a new session object
(via createSnmpSession()) per send.

public PDU send() throws IOException {
    Snmp snmp = createSnmpSession();

To solve the spurious 1000ms delay problem I created the session object
once and bound it to a class variable (plus make some other minor
changes to support the change).

I imagine this is common question and it'd be nice if the answer was
avaliable in a FAQ, or the mail list archives were more easily
searchable.

	Regards,

	- Ajeet.