[SNMP4J] Basic Question about implementing SNMP Tables

inliner683 at gmx.de inliner683 at gmx.de
Mon Dec 17 17:18:12 CET 2007

>Its not an arbitrary OID provide BY snmp4j, its an OID you provide to
>snmp4j in the row creation call:
>
>       someEntry.addRow(new SomeEntryRow(new OID("2"), v2));
>
>If you had called addRow with an argument of new OID("192.168.1.78.1156.192.168.4.144.80") the the instance data for the >other columns would be:
>
>someEntry.someColumn.92.168.1.78.1156.192.168.4.144.80

Ok that is coming pretty much near to my initial problem (so I don't really understand why you previously stated
that there is no relationship between the instance data and the OID, actually there should be one).

I was aware of the possibility of providing
such OIDs as you pointed out. With arbitrary it was meant, that I can choose any OID myself. If i do it right, I will provide
an OID corresponding to the values in the index columns. But I also can provide any other OID (what I did in the example
to show the discrepancy).
So with snmp4j I can create rows with certain values in the index columns, and these rows will *NOT* be accessible via the
values defined in the index columns, if using an arbitrary OID.

You stated "If you had called addRow with..." but I think it should be:

You *MUST* call addRow() with the same values as defined in the index columns (at least if you want a reasonible
solution). See as well my post before.

>The implementor is responsible for assigning instance OIDs when the row is created.

That is true. But I thought that snmp4j perhaps could enforce an agent implementor not to use a different
OID for a newly created row other than the value defined in the index column. And that was the only point of
confusion.