[SNMP4J] Community String Indexing

Damian A Starosielsky damian.s at ig.com.br
Mon Jan 22 21:12:22 CET 2007

I am using snmp4j-agent to implement a Cisco switch simulator.

I am particularly interested in the dot1dTpFdbTable.

The problem is that I need to simulate what Cisco calls "Community
String Indexing".
What is means, is that each VLAN in the switch corresponds to a different
agent instance, listening on the same UDP port, but responding based on
which community you use.

Example:

community: public -> dot1dTpFdbTable will have the MACs of the default VLAN
community: public at 1 -> dot1dTpFdbTable will have the MACs of VLAN 1
community: public at 55 -> dot1dTpFdbTable will have the MACs of VLAN 55

Is this supported in the snmp4j library? How should I approach this problem?

More details on community string indexing can be found in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00801c9199.shtml

Thanks!
Damian