[SNMP4J] sending trap using snmp4j to port 162

balaji.t.sampath at verizon.com balaji.t.sampath at verizon.com
Thu Jul 12 18:48:38 CEST 2007

hello -
Even though this is not necessarily a snmp4j question, I'm posting here to
find out if anyone else has faced this issue.  I use the snmp4j java API to
created a V2 trap and send to a listener on a different server listening on
standard udp port 162.  When I deploy my app on a solaris 10 server, I'm
not seeing the trap on the listener.  The same application, when run on a
Redhat linux server sends the trap to the destination and the listener
receives it just fine.

I understand that additonal privilege is needed to listen on port 162 and
not to send UDP to 162 on a different server.  But from my test, it seems
this has something to do with some missing privilege on solaris for the
user/process.   I'd appreicate if anyone can tell me if something can be
changed in the application or if this is purely a solaris 10 sysadm issue.
I've also posted the question to solaris 10 forums.

thanks,