[SNMP4J] translate OID

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Mon Jul 16 19:07:48 CEST 2007

Hello Delphine,

First, remember that there could be several object names
for a single OID (although there could be only a single
object registration for an OID). So, an API that returns
the object names for an OID has to return a list of names
rather than a single name.

In most cases, mapping an OID to an object name at runtime
is bad design - probably the only exception from this rule
are generic SNMP tools. For compile time mapping, you can
use AgenPro.

For runtime SMI support, you can use JASMI
(http://www.mibdesigner.com), SMI4J, or Mibble. The first,
I can recommend (because I wrote it ;-).