[SNMP4J] Agent - Dynamic Table - Advice

Jothi P Neelamegam jothi at VerariSoft.Com
Tue Mar 27 00:16:03 CEST 2007

Hi All,

My SNMP4J based agent serves a dynamic table that needs fetching data
from the database to process GET/GETNEXT requests. As a result, the
response to snmpwalks (and equivalents) are bad as each snmpwalk is
internally translated into multiple GETNEXT queries and my agent is
actually fetching data from DB for each GETNEXT request. Even though the
data is dynamically varying, I would prefer fetching data from DB only
once for a snmpwalk (I can afford to trade off accuracy for speed here).
Is there a way in SNMP4J-Agent to recognize if a given GETNEXT request
is coming from say a snmpwalk or from  a standalone request like
snmpgetnext? If not, what would the best way to handle a situation like
this?

Thanks in Advance,
Jothi