[SNMP4J] Re: JVM-MANAGEMENT-MIB

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu May 17 22:12:24 CEST 2007

Hi Ron,

Please find my comments below:

Ron Fulkerson wrote:
> No takers on this?
>
> Am I to assume that this cannot be done?
>
> Frank, do you have any comment?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
>
> Ron Fulkerson wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been looking closer at using the ProxyForwarderImpl to get
>> JVM-MANAGEMENT-MIB to act as an AgentX subagent.  Using a
>> ProxyForwarder does not seem like a good approach, as the forwarder
>> does not seem to act as an agent at all, but just as a mediator for
>> switching on contexts, etc...

Mmmh, the ProxyForwarderImpl does SNMP[v1/v2c/v3] <-> SNMP[v1/v2c/v3]
communication. If you need AgentX communication, you need to
use SNMP4J-AgentX.

>> Is there a good way to use the existing java snmp agent
>> (JVM-MANAGEMENT-MIB) as an AgentX subagent?  I would also like to have
>> the SUN-MIN as an AgentX subagent as well.  I assume I can use the
>> same approach to both, but I just cant figure out what that approach
>> should be!

OK, now I seem to understand. For the JVM-MANAGEMENT-MIB you
could have used the SNMP4J-AgentJMX example implementation
of that MIB and put it into a SNMP4J-AgentX sub-agent.
That should be an easy and straight forward task.

If you have a third party agent (Java or not, and the same machine or
not) then one might think that a

Manager <--SNMPv[v1/v2c/v3]--> Agent/AgentXMaster
<--AgentX--> AgentXSubagent <--SNMP[v1/v2c/v3]--> 3rdPartySNMPAgent

communication would work, but - unfortunately - it will not.
Here is why: AgentX implements a 2PC protocol for write (SET)
operations which is not supported by SNMP. So using SNMP
as communication protocol between an AgentX sub-agent and a
SNMP-"sub-sub-agent" will break the AgentX protocol and then
in consequence the SNMP protocol between manager and AgentX
master agent.