[SNMP4J] Newbie Agent help please

dhay at lexmark.com dhay at lexmark.com
Fri Oct 19 13:53:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm pretty new to SNMP, and have been asked to create a very simple SNMP
agent that pretends to be a device and responds to 6 or 7 SNMP requests.

I have created my own MultiIPSNMPServer which binds to an ip address and
listens for requests on port 161.  I'm a little stuck, however, on how to
proceed.  I know the requests I'll receive, and the responses I want to
send, so I think I'm just looking for the pieces to decode the SNMP
request I receive and return the appropriate response.

What is simplest way to proceed using SNMP4J Agent?  I assume I need to
extend BaseAgent, but what are the *minimum* pieces I need to add?

Any help would be really appreciated...

cheers,

David