Sending real data [was Re: [SNMP4J] Newbie Agent help please]

dhay at lexmark.com dhay at lexmark.com
Thu Oct 25 17:10:22 CEST 2007

Thanks, Gene.

I created my own version of TestAgent, and used AgenGen to create the Java
stubs for our MIB.  My agent will now respond to SNMP requests, which is
great.

I'm stuck at the next stage, however.  I need for the agent to behave like
a particular printer, and respond accordingly.  So, for example, when I
send .1.3.6.1.4.1.641.2.1.2.1.2.1 it currently returns prtgenFamilyId.0 -
however, I need it to respond with a String containing the model name of
the specific printer I'm simulating.

How did I accomplish this?  Is there an interface I can implement to do
this?

Also, what is an ifTable?!

cheers,

David

"Eugene R. Snider" <gene at cvtt.net>
10/20/2007 05:12 PM

dhay at lexmark.com
cc

Subject
Re: [SNMP4J] Newbie Agent help please

I started off using the TestAgent and IfMIB code in snmp4j-agent.test.
This will give you a fully functional agent and ifTable. That worked
extremely well for me, although I did have issues related to v2c that I
don't fully understand.

Gene