Sending real data [was Re: [SNMP4J] Newbie Agent help please]

dhay at lexmark.com dhay at lexmark.com
Thu Oct 25 23:35:47 CEST 2007

Hi Frank,

That sounds great!  I managed to do the first part - took a snapshot of
the real printer device...I now have a xxxmib.sf file.

But not sure how I "apply the snapshot on the simulation agent"?

Would you have a minute to explain a little further?

cheers,

David

Frank Fock <fock at agentpp.com>
10/25/2007 04:21 PM

dhay at lexmark.com
cc
"Eugene R. Snider" <gene at cvtt.net>, snmp4j at agentpp.org
Subject
Re: Sending real data [was Re: [SNMP4J] Newbie Agent help please]

Hi David,

You could use MIB Explorer Pro to take a snapshot of the
real printer device and then apply the snapshot on the
SNMP4J-Agent simulation agent (the agent must use the
SimMOFactory). For more information see:
http://www.snmp4j.org/agent/doc/org/snmp4j/agent/mo/ext/SimMOFactory.html

The ifTable is a table from the IF-MIB. It is just
there for demonstration purposes, you can safely
ignore it.

dhay at lexmark.com wrote:
> Thanks, Gene.
>
> I created my own version of TestAgent, and used AgenGen to create the
Java
> stubs for our MIB.  My agent will now respond to SNMP requests, which is
> great.
>
> I'm stuck at the next stage, however.  I need for the agent to behave
like
> a particular printer, and respond accordingly.  So, for example, when I
> send .1.3.6.1.4.1.641.2.1.2.1.2.1 it currently returns prtgenFamilyId.0
-
> however, I need it to respond with a String containing the model name of
> the specific printer I'm simulating.
>
> How did I accomplish this?  Is there an interface I can implement to do
> this?
>
> Also, what is an ifTable?!
>
> cheers,
>
> David
>

> "Eugene R. Snider" <gene at cvtt.net>
> 10/20/2007 05:12 PM

> dhay at lexmark.com
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: [SNMP4J] Newbie Agent help please
>

> I started off using the TestAgent and IfMIB code in snmp4j-agent.test.
> This will give you a fully functional agent and ifTable. That worked
> extremely well for me, although I did have issues related to v2c that I
> don't fully understand.
>
> Gene
>
> dhay at lexmark.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm pretty new to SNMP, and have been asked to create a very simple
SNMP