[SNMP4J] SNMP v2 - getTable()

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Wed Sep 5 22:10:03 CEST 2007

Hi Holger,

I would think that (3) is true. With SNMPv1 only GETNEXT
operations are performed to get the rows of a table.
With SNMPv2c GETBULK is used where more than one row
can be returned by the agent per response PDU.
In such a case, the response PDU may exceed an internal
limit of the command generator or (more likely) of the
agent (=command receiver). In such a case, the agent
should a response with a much elements as would fit
into in a PDU with maximum size. If such a response would
not be valid (i.e., contain less elements as the request),
then a tooBig error must be returned.

A simple timeout points to a bug in the agent.
To workaround the bug, you can reduce the maxRepetitions
parameter.