[SNMP4J] using aes192/aes256 privacy protocols against Cisco devices

Elad Sarver elad.xx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 12:11:47 CEST 2007

Hi,

When I use the snmp4j.exe tool (latest version) to query a Cisco 7200 series
device using AES128 encryption, it works.
When I try to use the same for AES192 or AES256, the device doesn't respond.
not even with a Report PDU, which is always sent in other cases.
Using Ethereal, I see that an encrypted AES192 PDU was sent to the
device and nothing came back.

I have the security policy files installed. Before they were installed, a
different error had occured. So it probably isn't the reason.
The device is configured correctly, and traps/informs are being sent from it
correctly with AES192.

1. What could be the problem?
2. Was the Snmp4J tool tested against Cisco devices using these privacy
protocols?

thanks,
Elad.