[SNMP4J] Implementing a Sub-Agent

Jim Chan jchan at incognito.com
Tue Apr 8 22:04:30 CEST 2008

I successfully extended the BaseAgent class and registered my own managed objects and notifications.  I am now trying to hook it up to an AgentX archictecture to do the same thing.  I have looked into the SNMP4J AgentX source code and noticed that I need to follow the TestSubAgent class and use  classes such as AgentX and AgentXSubagent.

My question is as follows:

I would like an API where all I would have to do as a developer is to make extra configuration calls, should I want AgentX or not.  For example, if AgentX is required, then I would only be concerned with setting a flag to specify AgentX and also provide the Master Agent's connection information.  The registration of the managed objects and the notifications should be the same.  From my first glance at the source code, I see that it is possible to write such a façade myself, but I am wondering if such a strategy already exists in the current SNMP4J API?  It can also be that this strategy is not a very good one.   Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Jim Chan