[SNMP4J] Anyone interest in a small consulting gig with SNMP4j?

Doug Hughes dhughes at alagad.com
Thu Aug 14 12:38:14 CEST 2008

Hi,

My company has bitten off a bit more than we can chew.  We typically build
web applications using the ColdFusion language (which is a language built in
Java).  Earlier this year we were approached by a major university to build
what's known as an Event Gateway for ColdFusion which would let them read
values and trap events from SNMP devices on their network.  Event Gateways
are essentially Java Objects that implement a given interface that
ColdFusion knows how to interact with and provide ways to execute ColdFusion
code outside the scope of a traditional HTTP request.

We informed them that Java was not our strength (by a long shot) but that we
would give the project a shot if they were willing.  They couldn't find
another company who had any interest in the project and elected to let us
try.

Unfortunately, the project has turned out to be more of a challenge than I
expected.  I made the bad assumption that something with the word "simple"
in its name might actually be simple.  And so at this point there seems to
be quite the learning curve while we become familiar with SNMP in general
and then the challenge of Java not being our native language.

So that leads me to my question:  Would anyone be interested in taking on a
small contract to collaborate with my company to create this Event Gateway?
I would provide all the support and knowledge you would need with regards to
ColdFusion.  You would provide the Java and SNMP expertise.  We would work
together to ultimately create this Event Gateway, with you doing the
majority of the work.

To be clear, I would be paying you for your time, assuming I we can agree on
your rates.  And there's a strong likelihood that once this project is
complete that our client will release this under a FOSS license.

I'd prefer to work with someone in the US, if possible.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Doug Hughes, President
Alagad Inc.
dhughes at alagad.com